The Maine Philanthropy Center provides its funder members with services to enhance their effectiveness, increase partnership and collaboration among funders, and bring together foundation and nonprofit leaders to enhance the impact of grants made in Maine and expand philanthropy through the state. Members are not only part of a statewide network of grantmakers, but also are connected to a network of over 4,000 funders nationwide.
Membership in the Maine Philanthropy Center is open to trustees, directors, and staff of grantmaking foundations awarding grants to multiple recipients in Maine.
Our members include:
- Private grantmaking foundations
- Family foundations
- Private operating foundations endowed to operate programs and award grants determined by donor or governing body
- Community foundations
- Corporate foundations
- Companies, both large and small, with organized giving programs
- Public foundations, charities or government entities with grantmaking programs
- Organized Giving Circles with grantmaking programs
- Philanthropic individuals and those with donor advised funds
- A trust company or bank managing charitable funds, trusts, or foundations making grants for charitable purposes
- Trustees of foundations located outside of Maine
Entry Membership Investment Levels
Individual philanthropists and advisors pay a flat investment amount in order to become Funder members. Entry investment amounts for organizations are based upon the total value of grants given annually.
|Total Value of Grants Given Annually||Membership Investment Amount|
|Individual philanthropists and advisors||$415|
|Up to $49,999||$415|
|$50,000 to $99,999||$825|
|$100,000 to $499,999||$1,650|
|$500,000 to $999,999||$2,370|
|$1,000,000 to $1,499,999||$5,150|
|$1,500,000 to $4,999,999||$7,725|
|$5,000,000 to $9,999,999||$10,330|
|$10,000,000 and up||$15,450|
Members contributing $1,000 or more over their entry-level membership investment amounts automatically become part of the MPC's Philanthropy Circle.
To become a Funder Member of the Maine Philanthropy Center, contact Jeannette Andre (207-780-5029).
- Programs - MPC offers an array of programs for grantmakers to come together to learn from each other, build grantmaking skills and expertise, keep informed about legal and financial issues, and hear about local and national grantmaking trends. MPC also brings together funders with shared interests such as corporate giving, family philanthropy, the environment, and oral health. MPC members receive discounts to all MPC-sponsored programs.
- Issue-Oriented Roundtables - MPC brings together members to share information around a particular topic or a geographic area. The Corporate Roundtable and Downeast Funders meet on a regular basis, as do grantmakers with interests in oral health and the environment. Groups with an interest in early childhood education and in food issues are developing.
- Networking - MPC programs offer opportunities to meet others in the grantmaking community, so you can put a face to a name, making it easier for you to call a colleague the next time you have a question.
- Web-Based Resources - Members have access to the members-only section of the MPC website, which includes the Directory of Maine Grantmakers, MPC's online and searchable database. Through the Directory, you can identify other grantmakers who share your areas of interest and help grantees find additional resources.
- Publication Discounts - In addition to online access to MPC's Directory of Maine Grantmakers, members also receive discounts on the printed Directory.
- One-on-One Consultations - MPC is available to help you establish or evaluate your priorities and overall grantmaking processes, suggest local or national organizations or consultants to assist you, and connect you with other grantmakers.
- Services for Your Grantees - You can refer your grantees and applicants to our website and to our library for information about other funding sources. We also offer workshops on how to research and apply for grants.
- Grantmakers E-News - Members receive MPC’s electronic newsletter, which keeps you informed of local and national news of interest to grantmakers. We also send special alerts to members if the news warrants immediate attention.
- Regional Grantmaker Guest Membership Program - As part of our affiliation with 33 regional grantmaker associations throughout the country, MPC members are eligible for the Guest Membership Program. This benefit mutually extends member rates on programs to board members of grantmaking institutions that are members of one regional association but live in an area served by a different regional association. For a list of participating organizations, click here.
- Membership benefits of the United Philanthropy Forum which includes use of their knowledgebase of reports and documents.
- Exponent Philanthropy - We have worked with Exponent to develop a menu of partnership opportunities available exclusively to their fellow Forum members - both national and regional PSOs. If you have a desire to serve your leanly-staffed members better but don’t have the resources or staff capacity to do so, Exponent Philanthropy resources and programs can complement your existing offerings.
- Foundation Directory Online - Put Foundation Center's database and fundraising expertise to work for your organization while uncovering information on all 140,000 U.S. foundations with a discounted subscription to FDO Professional (some restrictions apply).
- Electric Embers Listservs - Configure and maintain discussion lists (public and private) with your members using Electric Embers at a 40% discount.
- Alliance Magazine - Forum members and your members are eligible to receive a 20% discount on new print and digital subscriptions to this magazine for philanthropy and social investment worldwide providing news and analysis of what’s happening in the sector.
- Bromelkamp Company - Designed in Microsoft Access and Microsoft Dynamics, Bromelkamp Company products, Akoya.net and Pearl, are user-modifiable and customized to meet foundations’ needs and are available to your members at a 5% discount.
- ClickTime - Track employee time against the programs and grants you manage, ensure compliance, drive increased funding, and manage expenses with ClickTIme, which provides online time tracking and expense reporting free for Forum member organizations and discounted for your members.
- Community Foundation Services - The Forum's community foundation services include a national listserv for CEOs of community foundations and two in-person boot camp trainings a year.
- D&O Insurance - The Forum-endorsed insurance program by Affinity Nonprofits and The Hartford offers D&O, Fiduciary Liability and other coverage to members at a discounted rate. Coverage is available in all states.
- Family Philanthropy Online Knowledge Center- Access cutting edge resources in family philanthropy through discounted subscriptions to NCFP’s online knowledge center.
- The Foundation Review - Get a 20% subscription discount for you and your members on the first peer-reviewed journal of philanthropy, written by and for foundation staff and boards and those who work with them. Each quarterly issue provides peer-reviewed reports about the field of philanthropy.
- Foundation Legal Help Desk - The Help Desk is designed to provide foundations with access to answers to legal questions related to the operations of a foundation.
- PhilanTrack - Streamline your grants management with 10% discount for PhilanTrack for Grantmakers, which saves time and money while achieving a better return on grants.
- ReadyTalk - Access easy-to-use audio/web/video conferencing at discounted rates for Forum members that can be extended to your members. Forum negotiated rates for our network that are 40% off their regular rate and even less than TechSoup!
- RingCentral - Save 15% on RingCentral’s comprehensive VOIP phone system, webinars, and audio and video conferences that can be managed from any computer or smartphone. Connect all your employees and locations on the same phone system and take your business anywhere with free phone and desktop apps. Furthermore, extend this discount to all of your members and join a growing number of RingCentral users in the Forum network.
- Stanford Social Innovation Review - For a discounted price you and your members can subscribe to Stanford Social Innovation Review (SSIR), whose mission is to advance, educate, and inspire the field of social innovation by seeking out, cultivating, and disseminating the best in research- and practice-based knowledge.
- GuideStar tools – as a member of the United Philanthropy Forum, Maine Philanthropy Center and its members receive a 20% discount on key GuideStar tools, including GuideStar Charity Check and GuideStar Pro. Contact the MPC staff for the discount code.