We align funders and nonprofits in a dynamic network, resulting in more effective philanthropy for all of Maine.
Maine Philanthropy Center (MPC) is the keystone for Maine’s philanthropic community: an organization that connects and strengthens the vital network of funders and supports their relationships with each other and the community organizations in which they invest. We achieve this by partnering with over 300 nonprofit members and more than 70 of Maine’s funding stakeholders—family and private foundations, community foundations, public charity grantmakers, donor advisors, corporate foundations and giving programs, and individual philanthropists—who engage with one another. Those relationships help each individual organization achieve optimal effectiveness. Through our programs and affinity groups, funders and nonprofits explore new avenues, share best practices, and strategize together.
We are Maine’s only association for this network, dedicated to increasing the awareness and effectiveness of philanthropy. Central to our work is the belief that the integration of diversity, equity, and inclusivity practices is imperative to success. MPC promotes broad awareness of philanthropy through the publication of our annual Giving in Maine report and a public website with local and national data about charitable foundations. Our “Get on the Map” project helps improve the accuracy and availability of up-to-date, detailed grantmaking information across our region.
MPC convenes, educates, and challenges our members: we bolster relationships that guide the direction of philanthropy in Maine. We take a leadership role in facilitating conversations among funders and nonprofits about critical issues facing our communities, thereby amplifying the impact of everyone’s work. Our nonprofit partners also rely on us for access to valuable resources that inform and advance their grantseeking. Through our partnership with Candid, we provide on-site, free public access to the national funder database Foundation Directory Online. MPC members can also access the Online Directory of Maine Grantmakers, a database of funders active in Maine—the most comprehensive source of information on Maine funders.
Our Funder Members include:
- Private grantmaking foundations
- Family foundations
- Private operating foundations endowed to operate programs and award grants determined by donor or governing body
- Community foundations
- Corporate foundations
- Companies, both large and small, with organized giving programs
- Public foundations, charities or government entities with grantmaking programs
- Organized Giving Circles with grantmaking programs
- Philanthropic individuals and those with donor advised funds
- A trust company or bank managing charitable funds, trusts, or foundations making grants for charitable purposes
- Trustees of foundations located outside of Maine
Entry Membership Investment Levels
Individual philanthropists and advisors pay a flat investment amount in order to become Funder members. Entry investment amounts for organizations are based upon the total value of grants given annually.
|Total Value of Grants Given Annually||Membership Investment Amount|
|Individual philanthropists and advisors||$425|
|Up to $49,999||$425|
|$50,000 to $99,999||$850|
|$100,000 to $499,999||$1,700|
|$500,000 to $999,999||$2,440|
|$1,000,000 to $1,499,999||$5,300|
|$1,500,000 to $4,999,999||$7,950|
|$5,000,000 to $9,999,999||$10,640|
|$10,000,000 and up||$15,900|
Members contributing $1,000 or more over their entry-level membership investment amounts automatically become part of the MPC's Philanthropy Circle.
To become a Funder Member of the Maine Philanthropy Center, contact Jeannette Andre (207-780-5029).
- Community -Members are not only part of a statewide network of grantmakers, but also are connected to over 7,000 funders nationwide. We intentionally connect funders with shared interests such as corporate giving, education, the environment, and oral health. Additionally, we advocate for the issues Maine philanthropy cares about from the halls of Augusta to the Capitol in D.C.
- Programs - We offer an array of programs for grantmakers to come together to learn from each other, build grantmaking skills and expertise, keep informed about legal and financial issues, and hear about local and national grantmaking trends. We also offer programs designed to support your grantees. All members receive discounts to all MPC-sponsored programs.
- Resources and Research -Members have access to the members-only section of the MPC website, which includes the Directory of Maine Grantmakers, MPC's online, searchable database, as well as the Get on the Map portal. Through the Directory and Get on the Map data, members can identify other grantmakers who share areas of interest and help grantees find additional resources.
- Publications and Product Discounts - In addition to online access to MPC's Directory of Maine Grantmakers, members receive discounts on the printed Directory. Members also receive discounts on products like: Foundation Legal Help Desk, The Chronicle of Philanthropy, PhilanTrak, RingCentral, Cureo, Stanford Social Innovation Review, The Foundation Review, Alliance magazine.
- One-on-One Consultations - MPC is available to help you establish or evaluate your priorities and overall grantmaking processes, suggest local or national organizations or consultants to assist you, and connect you with other grantmakers. Members also have access to complimentary job postings featured on our website and in our newsletters.
- Services for Your Grantees - You can refer your grantees and applicants to our website and to our library for information about other funding sources. We also offer workshops on how to research and apply for grants.
- Grantmakers E-News - Members receive MPC’s electronic newsletter, which keeps you informed of local and national news of interest to grantmakers. We also send special alerts to members if the news warrants immediate attention.
- Regional Grantmaker Guest Membership Program -
As part of our affiliation with 80+ regional and national grantmaker associations throughout the country, MPC members are eligible for the Guest Membership Program. This benefit mutually extends member rates on programs to board members of grantmaking institutions that are members of one regional association but live in an area served by a different regional association. For a list of participating organizations, click here.
Membership benefits of the United Philanthropy Forum which includes use of their knowledgebase of reports and documents.
- Alliance Magazine - Forum members and your members are eligible to receive a 20% discount on new print and digital subscriptions to this magazine for philanthropy and social investment worldwide providing news and analysis of what’s happening in the sector.
- Amalgamated Bank - Amalgamated Bank is proud to partner with the Forum to provide high quality service and expert financial support to PSOs and their philanthropy members. As America’s socially responsible bank, Amalgamated offers banking and investment products specifically designed for PSOs and foundations to help align your money with your mission. Forum members can access free or discounted banking, along with a preferred private banker.
- Bromelkamp Company - Akoya.net by Bromelkamp Company is an integrated, online software solution changing the way foundations use software. Designed in Microsoft Dynamics 365, Akoya.net is flexible to grow with foundations. Through this partnership, your members are offered a 5% discount on Akoya.net set-up and training fees.
- The Chronicle of Philanthropy - Provides foundation executives, board members, nonprofit professionals, and others with the indispensable information and practical advice they need to help them change the world. United Philanthropy Forum members are eligible to receive a 10% discount on a site license to The Chronicle of Philanthropy.
- ClickTime - Track employee time against the programs and grants you manage, ensure compliance, drive increased funding, and manage expenses with ClickTIme, which provides online time tracking and expense reporting free for Forum member organizations and discounted for your members.
- Community Foundation Services The Forum's community foundation services include a national listserv for CEOs of community foundations. Community foundation CEOs from across the country actively use this listserv to pose questions, engage in conversations and more. The Forum also offers members a $400 discount on the Kansas Association of Community Foundations’ On-Line Community Foundation Express Training for new and seasoned practitioners.
- Cureo - Get a 25% discount on this easy-to-use engagement hub designed for nonprofits. Leaders get all the tools they need to organize and manage the work of a group, including discussion boards, file sharing, task management, shared calendars, channels, and more.
- Cybersecurity Offerings - Cybersecurity is a topic that none of us can afford to ignore. Given that most, if not all of us, are now working virtually, we strongly encourage all of our members to conduct a security audit and implement necessary measures to protect your intellectual assets, staff, and member data. Below you'll find various discounted offers generously provided by Forum partners that can be used whether you're just starting or continuing on your digital security journey. These discounts are restricted to current Forum members and can be extended to PSOs' members as well.
- The Foundation Review - Get a 20% subscription discount for you and your members on the first peer-reviewed journal of philanthropy, written by and for foundation staff and boards and those who work with them. Each quarterly issue provides peer-reviewed reports about the field of philanthropy.
- Foundation Legal Help Desk - The Help Desk is designed to provide foundations with access to answers to legal questions related to the operations of a foundation.
- Great American Insurance Group - Forum members and your member organizations can access premium pricing from Great American Insurance Group on D&O Liability, fiduciary liability, employment practices liability, cyber liability, and more.
- Inside Philanthropy - Get a discount of 25% off the subscription price for new subscriptions for you and your members. Every day, Inside Philanthropy editors and journalists seek to bring more transparency and accountability to philanthropy at a time that it's having a growing impact on America and the world through their reporting.
- PhilanTrack - Streamline your grants management with 10% discount for PhilanTrack for Grantmakers, which saves time and money while achieving a better return on grants.
- RingCentral - Save 15% on RingCentral’s comprehensive VOIP phone system, webinars, and audio and video conferences that can be managed from any computer or smartphone. Connect all your employees and locations on the same phone system and take your business anywhere with free phone and desktop apps. Furthermore, extend this discount to all of your members and join a growing number of RingCentral users in the Forum network.
- Stanford Social Innovation Review - For a discounted price you and your members can subscribe to Stanford Social Innovation Review (SSIR), whose mission is to advance, educate, and inspire the field of social innovation by seeking out, cultivating, and disseminating the best in research- and practice-based knowledge.
|Funder Membership Benefits 2021.pdf||1.26 MB|