The MPC’s Advocacy Committee recently decided to make the 2020 census a key focus of the network's education and advocacy efforts over the next year. In a recent survey, network leaders indicated that this as a top issue about which all sought more information.
Advocating for a fair and accurate census count is a critical equity strategy. Historically, the census has missed or under-counted disproportionate numbers of racial minorities, immigrants, young children, and economically disadvantaged individuals, leading to inequality in political power and less access to public funding and private investment for these communities.
In addition, census data guides decision makers in all sectors, informs vast amounts of research, and is a key factor in the distribution of billions of federal dollars. To learn more, click here.
This free webinar begins our Census 2020 educational journey and will:
- serve as a jumping-off point for Maine funders who wish to explore census-related advocacy.
- provide a high-level overview of the census and its importance.
- discuss the difficulties that impede the collection of accurate census data.
- identify what can be done to overcome some of those difficulties.
- provide examples of what funders in other states are doing to help support an accurate census.