Safe Passage, based in New Gloucester, Maine and known as Camino Seguro in Guatemala, serves 600 children and their families in the impoverished Guatemala City garbage dump community. Safe Passage’s mission is to break the cycle of poverty through groundbreaking education, daily meals, health care, and social support services.
About the position
The Development Communications Manager (DCM) plays an important role in ensuring Safe Passage’s financial stability and in ensuring appropriate and accurate messaging of all organizational and program development to our donors. This position works closely with the Director of Development (DOD), Director of Annual Giving (DOAG), and the Guatemalan Community Manager (GCM). In addition, the DCM works in conjunction with the Development Team in the US and the Public Relations team in Guatemala to share and produce content that correctly reflects the work that we do on the ground in Guatemala City. This position reports directly to the Director of Development.
The DCM works to advance Safe Passage’s mission in three principle ways:
- Assisting with and managing the strategic communications plan for the organization. This includes creation and use of appeal letters, cultivation mailings, annual reports, and electronic communications that are utilized in the overall annual campaign and sub campaigns during the year.
- The management of Safe Passage’s development communications and oversight of online presence.
- The management of the Safe Passage/Camino Seguro website.
Primary duties and responsibilities
- Provide strategy, creativity and implementation of the annual production calendar and planning and execution of smaller campaigns throughout the year, in conjunction with DOAG.
- Design and create content, alongside the DOAG, of all development communications, whether printed in-house, or with outside vendors. Includes:
- Emails, website, blog posts, mass appeals, informational items, and stewardship and cultivation pieces.
- Work to ensure that all materials meet the Safe Passage brand guidelines.
- Social Media
- Monitor and maintain Facebook pages and groups, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, and soon TikTok.
- Engage with supporters, answer messages, and keep content fresh and branded.
- Track analytics for enhancement of brand awareness and best ROI.
- Mass Emails
- Write, design, and send mass emails, including creating and maintaining mailing lists.
- Maintain 8,000-person mailing lists.
- Annual Report and Impact Newsletters, in conjunction with the DOAG - print, design, writing, editing, etc.
- Press releases and media outreach, as needed.
- Assist with the Maine 5K and other events, including creating content and design for registration, posters/flyers, sponsor packets, social media, emails, t-shirts, etc.
- Video and image editing.
- Maintain archives and curate photos, videos, etc.
- Manage the Safe Passage website (Wordpress) through content writing, design, and creation of new sections, as well as maintenance, plug-in updates, and addressing technical issues that may arise.
- Monitor overall online presence, which includes outside webpages (Charity Navigator, Guidestar, GoOverseas, etc.)
- Design and maintain online donation pages and online fundraisers through Online Express.
- Annual or bi-annual visits along with DOAG to Guatemalan campus when safety permits to gather data, photos, video content for annual fund materials & media.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Google Suite, and standard office software for both Mac and PC .
- Proficiency with standard social media platforms.
- Proficiency with WordPress, InDesign and other video/photo editing software.
- Strong written/verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to master new software easily.
- Must manage time effectively and balance priorities.
- Must be able to work collaboratively and independently.
- Spanish proficiency is desired, but not required
Education and professional attributes
- A minimum of 2 years experience.
- Excellent design, verbal, and written communication skills; including, copywriting, editing and persuasive writing.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Personable, energetic, and able to take challenges in stride.
- Valid driver’s license, passport, and personal vehicle required.
- Knowledge of fundraising/CRM systems such as Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce, or equivalent desired.
- Strong judgment, flexibility and ability to manage confidential information with diplomacy.
The Salary range is between $50,000 and $55,000 per year, based on 40 hours per week. This position is full-time, paid hourly, and is non-exempt. A flexible work schedule is possible, with a mixture of working remotely and in our New Gloucester, Maine office.
How to apply
Send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org