About the Foundation
The Onion Foundation is a private charitable foundation established in 2014. It was created with the mission of encouraging conservation and stewardship of the natural environment and promoting music and the arts in the state of Maine. Since its creation, the foundation has made over 450 grants to more than 250 non-profit organizations in the state of Maine.
The Onion Foundation seeks a qualified individual preferably with three or more years of philanthropic or non-profit experience to serve as a full-time Program Officer. The Program Officer will review grant proposals, perform due diligence work, manage current grants relationships, evaluate grant results and make recommendations to the Board of Trustees. In addition, the Program Officer will develop an in-depth knowledge of the music and arts community in Maine and will work to build networks and relationships with nonprofits working in this area of interest. The Program Officer is a pivotal member of the team, contributing to idea generation, strategic thinking, organizational networking and collaborative team dynamics.
Duties and Responsibilities
• support grantees in each of the Onion Foundation granting cycles
• build relationships with and support networking of grantee organizations
• conduct site visits with grantees
• participate in strategy sessions and weekly update meetings
• work with other funders to design and execute collaborative grant initiatives
• help design, arrange and facilitate convenings with grantees
• conduct outreach activities, as needed, to increase visibility of grant programs to nonprofits
• read and evaluate grant applications
• present potential grant candidates to the board
• develop and maintain relationships with state, regional, and national level experts and thought leaders in relevant topics and fields.
• represent the Onion Foundation in interest area committee work with colleagues
• serve as a public representative and ambassador of the Onion Foundation
Experience and Skills Requirements
• Knowledge of or interest in learning about music/arts organizations in Maine
• Excellent communication skills, critical thinking, interpersonal and team skills
• Strong writing/editing and analytical skills
• Familiarity with non-profit organizations
• Excellent time management skills and ability to manage multiple tasks with minimal supervision
• Ability to work closely and collaboratively with other foundation staff
• Willingness and ability to travel statewide
• Willingness and ability to attend meetings and events outside regular work hours as needed
• Proficient with computers and software including file management, DropBox, Google Docs, Microsoft Office, and willing to learn new platforms as needed
• A desire to support the mission and vision of the Onion Foundation
• Commitment to equity in grantmaking
• Discretion and commitment to organizational confidentiality
• A good sense of humor
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
• 3-5+ years relevant experience in philanthropy, grant making or grant seeking, or program development and management
Location and Travel
The Onion Foundation office is located in Auburn, ME. All employees are expected to attend weekly staff meetings in the Auburn office. Employees will also be required to travel periodically for grantee visits, conferences, and meetings. The Onion Foundation offers flexible work hours and the option to work from home or the office based on schedules.
Salary and Benefits
• Annual starting salary: $65,000
• Full time: 36 hour week
• Generous comprehensive benefits package includes health, dental, and life, and disability insurance as well as employer-sponsored 401(k) retirement account with up to 6% employer contribution.
How to Apply
Forward resume and cover letter by 11:59 pm on February 7th, to Jobs@onionfoundation.org