Maine Initiatives is a community-based foundation located in Portland, ME that advances social, economic, and environmental justice through informed, intentional, and collective philanthropy. We seek an energetic, creative, and team-oriented individual to join our growing team as the Communications and Development Director.
Maine Initiatives is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce at all job levels, and we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We encourage Black folks, immigrants, people of color, indigenous people, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, women, formerly incarcerated people, and members of any other group that may experience adversity in hiring to apply.
We believe it is possible for our communities to be more just and equitable. We believe all members of our community have a unique and indispensable contribution to make to justice and equity in our community, including knowledge, lived experience, expertise, wisdom, voice, values, relationships, time and money. By bringing people together around the shared values of justice and equity, we create opportunities to:
- Engage and connect people with each other and with their core values
- Foster individual and collective learning about issues of justice, equity, and power
- Position people to take independent and collective action in support of greater justice and equity in Maine communities.
In so doing, we identify, mobilize, and leverage the fullest range of our community’s assets and resources and use them in the service of making our state more just and equitable.
About the position
The Communications and Development Director is responsible for directing the foundation’s communications and development strategies at Maine Initiatives. The Communications and Development Director will collaborate closely with other staff, but ultimately take on a key leadership role in expanding our communications and fundraising efforts in alignment with our anti-racist values as a foundation. We seek an individual that is committed to continuous learning and willingness to challenge traditional best-practices in order to create more equitable fundraising approaches. Ideally, the candidate will also have experience working or volunteering with grassroots or community-based organizations in order to effectively highlight, honor, and act in solidarity with the many grantees with whom we partner.
Specific responsibilities of the Communications and Development Director include
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Board Development Committee to build a multi-year strategic fundraising plan with measurable goals.
- Lead and execute fundraising campaigns, including our annual appeal and rapid-response crowdfunding campaigns.
- Play the lead role in organizing fundraising events such as the Changemakers Celebration – our annual gala.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to identify, research, cultivate, and steward individual and institutional prospects and donors.
- Cultivate strong relationships with community supporters, partners, and non-financial donors.
- Work with the Finance and Operations Manager to ensure timely and accurate recording of all donor income and for communicating efficiently and effectively with all individual and institutional donors. This includes maintaining up-to-date donor records in Network for Good as well as grant deadlines and reporting calendars for all institutional donors.
- Engage program staff in fundraising roles and activities to create a collaborative fundraising culture across the organization.
- Work with our graphic designer to effectively create cohesive and branded messaging.
- Design and implement paper and digital communications that prioritize equity and accessibility through the Maine Initiatives website, social media platforms, e-Newsletters, Network for Good, etc.
- Effectively plan long-term communications strategies with targeted goals that amplify our organizational mission and vision.
- Collaborate with program staff to share stories and updates about grantee organizing and advocacy activities and opportunities for community action.
Qualifications and skills
- At least 5 years of experience working in communications and development roles at nonprofits, foundations, and/or community-based organizations.
- Demonstrated leadership in successful communications and development projects.
- Experience in large-scale event planning, preferably fundraising events.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build trusting relationships across lines of difference.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to balance and prioritize a complex portfolio and meet deadlines.
- Ability to be adaptable and creative in stressful situations.
- Network for Good, QuickBooks, Excel experience a plus.
- Participate in local and national conversations about equitable fundraising practices (for example, the Maine chapter of Community Centric Fundraising).
At this time, our staff is working in a hybrid model (part remote and part in person). We are committed to fostering a work environment that supports all members of our team.
The salary range for this position is $60,000 – $75,000. Salary is based on lived and learned experience. Benefits include generous paid time off (30 days), 10 paid holidays, individual employer-provided health insurance, long-term disability insurance, and a defined contribution retirement plan with employer match.
How to apply
To apply, send your resume and a cover letter sharing with us why you are a good match for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Communications and Development Director Job Application” in the subject line. If you need assistance, you may contact us at 207-607-4070 or email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We hope to have the position filled by October 1, 2021.