Maine Equal Justice is hiring an Administrative Assistant to help us increase economic security, opportunity, and equity in Maine.
Maine Equal Justice has an immediate opening for a highly-organized, detail-oriented individual for a full-time (35 hours a week) Administrative Assistant. The Administrative Assistant position provides support to our administrative staff, assists in daily office needs, and assists with administrative activities. Work is performed under the supervision of the Operations Director.
About the employer
Maine Equal Justice is a nonprofit legal aid provider located in Augusta that represents the interests of people with low income in the state legislature, before the courts and administrative agencies, and through outreach and education in the community. Maine Equal Justice strives to increase economic security, opportunity, and equity in Maine, ensuring that people can access health care, food, income security, and higher education and training.
- Assists with carrying out and tracking development activities;
- Is responsible for the cash handling process from A-Z, including grant payments;
- Reconciles and adds detail in QuickBooks for monthly donations;
- Monitors and replenishes office supplies;
- Assists with file management and maintenance of the website;
- Provides support for Board and Board committee meetings as needed;
- Completes and submits monthly lobbying and DOL reports;
- Makes and tracks timely payments to HOPE students as part of the Build HOPE Project;
- Performs data entry, regular database cleanup, and report generation.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Knowledge of computer programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook, G-Suite, Salesforce;
- Knowledge of office management systems and procedures;
- Basic bookkeeping skills, with QuickBooks Online experience preferred;
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work;
- Able to take initiative and problem solve in a proactive manner;
- Attention to detail and highly organized;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; and
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask.
Minimum qualifications: A two (2) year combination of education, experience, and training in office administration/clerical work.
Licensing/Registration/Certification Requirements: None
Special Requirements: None
Job Location: The Administrative Assistant may perform some of the job functions remotely and is expected to work in the Augusta office at least two (regularly-scheduled) days per week and to be generally available to come into the office during office hours as needed throughout the work week. Schedule may have some flexibility, to be determined between employee and supervisor.
Salary and Benefits: $40,000 annual salary (35 hours per week) to start. Health and dental insurance is provided, with premiums and deductibles mostly covered by employer. MEJ offers retirement accounts with an annual employer contribution, generous vacation time (employee accrues three weeks vacation in first year of employment), generous sick time, and 14 paid holidays per year.
How to apply
Submit a letter of interest and a resume addressed to Robyn Merrill, Executive Director, and emailed to email@example.com (PDF’s preferred). Applications will be accepted until October 23rd, 2021. More information about Maine Equal Justice can be found at www.MaineEqualJustice.org. We encourage people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and those with lived experience of poverty to apply.
Maine Equal Justice is an Equal Opportunity Employer.