Maine Equal Justice is hiring an Administrative Assistant to help us increase economic security, opportunity, and equity in Maine!
The Administrative Assistant performs a variety of administrative and clerical tasks. Duties of the Administrative Assistant include providing support to our staff, assisting in daily office needs, and assisting with general administrative activities. Work is performed under the supervision of the Operations Director and works closely with the Office Manager. This is a hybrid position with a minimum of two regularly-scheduled days in-office per week.
Maine Equal Justice is a nonprofit legal aid provider located in Augusta that represents the interests of people with low income in the state legislature, before the courts and administrative agencies, and through outreach and education in the community. Maine Equal Justice strives to increase economic security, opportunity, and equity in Maine, ensuring that people can access health care, food, income security, and higher education and training.
- Processes incoming and outgoing mail
- Processes donations and grants by stamping and copying checks, recording date received, and entering it into Salesforce
- Assists with entering and paying bills and outbound funds
- Supports the Build HOPE project by making and tracking timely payments to students who are parents with low income
- Assists with development activities by supporting individual appeals, ensuring sufficient supplies, printing, assembling, and mailing development communications, and preparing thank you notes to donors
- Supports training coordination and sends invoices for when requested by staff
- Provides administrative support for MEJ events and staff gatherings
- Monitors and replenishes office supplies needed like printer ink, toilet paper, copy paper, etc.
- Assists with transitioning our digital files from SharePoint to Google Drive
- Takes notes at board meetings and prepares board meeting materials
- Posts jobs and coordinates applications, responds to applicants, and schedules interviews for the hiring committees
- Performs data entry and regular database cleanup/deduplication for the organization, and regularly updates contacts and mailing lists
- Assists with the monthly lobbying report and other administrative filings
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Knowledge of computer programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook/O365, Google Docs. Salesforce experience preferred but not required.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
- Attention to detail and highly organized
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask
- Desire and motivation to gain knowledge and develop skills to support nonprofit operations
- Basic bookkeeping skills/QuickBooks Online experience preferred
Open to candidates with diverse work, life, and training experiences - willing to train a motivated individual looking to start a career in the nonprofit world. A two (2) year combination of education, experience, and training in office administration/clerical work preferred, but not required.
Licensing/Registration/Certification Requirements: None
Special Requirements: None
The Administrative Assistant may perform some of the job functions remotely and is expected to work in the Augusta office at least two (regularly-scheduled) days per week and to be generally available to come into the office during office hours as needed throughout the work week. Schedule may have some flexibility, to be determined between employee and supervisor.
Salary and benefits
Salary range of $42,000-$50,000 based on experience. Health and dental insurance are provided, with premiums and deductibles mostly covered by employer, as well as employer-paid life insurance and short- and long-term disability insurance. MEJ offers retirement accounts with an annual employer contribution, generous vacation time (five weeks vacation in first year of employment), generous sick time, and 14 paid holidays per year.
How to apply
Submit a letter of interest and a resume addressed to Jackie Stearns, Operations Director, and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (PDF’s preferred). Resumes submitted without a letter of interest will not receive a response. Applications will be accepted until October 9th, 2023.
More information about Maine Equal Justice can be found at MaineEqualJustice.org. We encourage people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and those with lived experience of poverty to apply. Maine Equal Justice is an Equal Opportunity Employer.