The Maine Boys to Men Board of Directors is seeking an Executive Director to lead the organization through its next phase of expansion. Based in Falmouth, Maine, the organization’s mission is to end all forms of male violence and self-harm and advance gender equity by supporting the development of self-aware, empathetic boys and men. Founded in 1998, Maine Boys to Men (MB2M) has evolved from an annual community conference to a nationally acclaimed organization. Today, MB2M provides direct programming serving girls, boys, and adults, empowering them to bring positive change to their communities. Dedicated staff, board leaders, and volunteers have created a growing and robust organization that offers highly valued programs in the state of Maine and beyond.
About the organization
Maine Boys to Men is changing boys’ lives in ways that will positively impact boys and those around them for the rest of their lives. We challenge destructive aspects of masculinity that are a root cause of injustice, self-harm, and violence. Importantly, we are committed to deepening our understanding of complex dynamics at the intersection of gender, race, class, and sexuality. With over 22 years of experience, we offer one of the most comprehensive gender-based violence prevention programs in the world; these programs start with the healthy development of boys and extend outreach through adulthood.
Leadership and management
• Retains and provides leadership to a diverse, highly qualified staff and group of volunteers by establishing a positive culture and actively supporting the growth and personal development of staff.
• Maintains strong relationships within the communities we serve and leverages mutually beneficial partnerships for greater impact.
• Works with the board of directors and staff to lead the mission and vision of the organization and to ensure board committees and efforts are well organized and effectively executed.
• Organizes and reports to the board of directors all information necessary for the board to function properly and make informed decisions.
• Coordinates and leads monthly program, operations and budget reviews, and develops periodic forecast updates with the treasurer for the board of directors.
• Ensures the delivery and evaluation of high-quality, innovative, and interactive programming to meet the needs of the community.
• Determines timeline and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals, including finance, fundraising, communications, and systems.
Fundraising and communication
• Works with the board to ensure resources are sufficient to sustain the financial health of the organization, including providing accurate and timely analyses that capture and communicate fundraising opportunities, results, variances, and performance trends.
• Ensures that services and funding relationships are robust enough to meet or exceed strategic goals and objectives.
• Cultivates and enhances MB2M’s image and reputation by being active and visible in the community, including the media and other professional, civic, and private organizations.
• Plans, organizes, and directs the organization’s operations and programs.
• Implements operational systems related to program expansion and outreach.
• Ensures the organization’s operations are well managed and in compliance with relevant legal standards and expected nonprofit accounting procedures.
The position is full-time with a competitive salary, between $75K and $85K, commensurate with relevant experience, health and short-term disability insurance, paid time off, and holidays.
Required qualifications and skills
• Enthusiasm and genuine passion for the mission of Maine Boys to Men.
• Commitment to promoting shared leadership across the organization and maintaining a highly supportive and effective culture.
• Excellence in organizational management, with the ability to attract and retain exceptional individuals and develop high-performance teams to achieve strategic objectives.
• Strong fundraising, marketing, and public relations skills, with the ability to engage a wide range of funders, stakeholders, and cultures.
• Track record of effectively leading and scaling an outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
• Demonstrated commitment to quality programs, impact, and evaluation.
• Past success working with a board of directors and experience in cultivating new and existing board member relationships.
• Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making, and reporting.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills to effectively and passionately communicate the organization’s mission, vision, and strategy to both staff and external stakeholders.
• Excellent interpersonal, multidisciplinary project skills, including exceptional public speaking.
• An action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning.
• Sense of humor, integrity, and strong work ethic.
Education / Experience
• Bachelor’s degree, finance or management preferred
• More than three years senior management and leadership experience; nonprofit experience a plus.
Job Location: Falmouth, Maine.
How to apply
Please send resume and cover letter specifically describing your job experience addressing the above qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.