Governor Janet Mills and the Maine Climate Council invite community leaders and interested citizens to a day of climate inspiration and action.
This special day-long climate conference is packed with useful tools, resources, and how-to case studies from communities across Maine taking climate action.
Who should attend? City, town and tribal leaders, and interested community members, who wish to learn how their communities can take climate action.
In the morning, community leaders and experts will share case studies and insights on everything from getting started with climate planning, making your community climate-ready, reducing emissions and saving costs through efficiency in buildings and transportation, and more.
- Getting Started: What are the first steps communities should take with climate action and resiliency planning
- Understanding Vulnerabilities: Learn how to assess which populations and areas are most vulnerable to climate impacts in your community - and why this is important.
- Efficiency Starts at Home: Find out how Maine communities and programs are working together to improve energy efficiency, cut costs and reduce emissions in homes and buildings.
- Engaging Your Community: Get tips on starting and leading climate conversations that will resonate with everyone in your community.
- Climate-Ready Communities: Hear how Maine communities are investing in climate-ready planning and projects to make infrastructure and natural resources more resilient.
- The Future of Transportation: Learn how Maine communities are approaching green transportation opportunities like electric vehicle charging stations, public fleets, transit and bike/pedestrian paths and how they are leading to economic and climate benefits.
The afternoon will feature a series of practical action sessions from state and federal agencies, community leaders, and organizations, offering resources, funding opportunities, and tools to help you get started with climate action in your community. These sessions include:
- Electrifying Community Transportation: Electric School Buses, Electric Fleets and Public Charging
- Active Transportation: Supporting Bicycle and Pedestrian Infrastructure
- Public Transit and Shared Transportation Strategies and Resources
- Maine Connectivity Authority: Community broadband strategies and Resources
- Efficiency Maine Trust Programs and Incentives for Communities
- Renewable Energy in Your Community and Smart Planning Tools
- Community Resilience Partnership: How your community can join and benefit
- Climate Adaptation Planning and Technical Assistance Resources
- Funding for Climate Ready Infrastructure: State and Federal Resources
- Turning Community Advocacy into Local Climate Action
- WindowDressers for Your Community: Hands-on Window Building Demonstration & Organizational Info
A full list of panelists and speakers will be released soon! We'll spread the news in future emails and on our conference webpage or social media channels.
What to expect on the day
- We will abide by all COVID-19 public health precautions and guidelines, such as for masking and distancing. You can check current COVID-19 guidelines here.
- Breakfast, lunch, and coffee are provided for in-person attendees. Attendees will receive access to recordings of all morning and select afternoon sessions after the conference.
- Want to share transportation to this event to cut down on emissions? Visit GO Maine's trip planner here (the conference is listed as a pre-filled destination).
To help as many people as possible to participate in Communities Leading on Climate, we are offering a virtual experience and other supports:
- If the cost of registration is a financial barrier for your attendance, registration scholarships are available.
- If you would like to attend in-person, but need transportation support or other assistance, please get in touch
- If you are a representative of a student group or other organization, please get in touch to discuss a group rate for attendance
- Accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities. Auxiliary aids will be provided upon advance request.